Sunday, May 11, 2008

travels in Northumbria

G'day! I'm now into my 4th day of tripping around Northumbria visiting the Cowey/Cowie sites. I've been to Wooler and the church where Mark Cowie was baptized. I've been to Ilderton, where John and Jane lived. It is a massive farming estate. The church is being renovated, new roof, shoring up the walls, etc. I then went to East Lilburn, where Jane was living when she met John. This is another large farming estate. Finally, I've been to Eglingham, where they were married. Nice pub.
I've taken many photos but will not be able to upload them until I reach "civilization", ie. a relative with a computer that takes memory sticks. Hopefully in Cambridge next weekend, or in Littlehampton, on Monday, the 19th.
If anyone has requests for photos, please email me quickly, as I leave this area (Berwick-upon-Tweed) on Friday, May 16.
The weather has been fantastic. The locals are in shock, although coming back from the records centre in Woodhorn today, I drove into a fog soup.
At the Woodhorn Center, I have found Jane Gray's parents. Robert Gray married Mary Mather in 1799 in Chillingham. Mary could not write but signed the marriage certificate with an "X". Robert's brother, Andrew, was a witness.
Nothing on John Cowey, yet. I expect to find something when I visit Linda Bankier, an archivist, at the Berwick Records Office this week.
This has been quite the experience. I have been here before, but now it has meaning.
Cheers, from Northumbria. Neil.

No comments: